March 9, 2015

Slow & Steady

   

   Last week I mentioned that the month of March I wanted to focus on organizing the home. I follow so many home organization blogs and yet I'm sitting here in my home still unorganized.  I decided that it's time to make it happen. One thing about home organization is that it can be really overwhelming. I'm not even in a large home and it is still overwhelming.  The key I've taken from the many articles I've read is to just start small and over time you'll find that everything is organized. My goal is to organize on a budget because it can definitely be pricey looking for storage items.

Here are the two phases I'm doing for each area I decided to organize:

Phase 1: Questions to ask
  • What do I want to use this space for?
  • What steps do I need to create to keep this space organized?
Phase 2: Taking action 
  • Purge
  • Clean
  • Organize
   I have completed two areas so far this month. My front closet and my beside table. First lets talk about the front closet. I decided that I wanted the front closet to store the most used winter coats, work out equipment, cleaning tools and regular tools. I will no longer put anything else in that closet to not overcrowd it and keep it organized.

Before & After

I bought the 2 bins from 5&Below for $5 each. One holds the tools we have and the other holds work out items.

The other thing I organized was my bedside table.


Before

This area was another place I would just throw things in to get out of site. I decided I wanted these two drawers to hold the following things:

Top Drawer
  • Lip Balms
  • Eye glass cleaner
  • Tissue
  • Chargers
  • Items for purse & work 
Bottom Drawer
  • Bibles
  • Notebooks
  • Kindle
  • Extra chargers

I bought 4 baskets to create dividers from the Dollar Store. I am confident this will help keep everything neat and organized.

After

The total is $14 for organizing these two areas. Not too bad. Now what area can you tackle this week?



No comments:

Post a Comment